Thousands of people have spent a second night on the streets of South Africa to mark the passing of Nelson Mandela.
There has also been a steady stream of visitors, through the night, to Mr Mandela's home in Johannesburg.
A week of national mourning in South Africa includes a national day of prayer today.
A State Memorial Service for the former South African President will take place in Johannesburg on Tuesday.
The service will be attended by President Michael D Higgins.
The White House confirmed that US President Barack Obama and the First Lady Michelle will be travelling to South Africa next week.
They will pay their respects and take part in memorial events for Mr Mandela.
Mr Obama spoke to Nelson Mandela's widow, Graca Machel, by phone yesterday to express condolences over the former South African president's death, the White House said.
The remains of the 95-year-old will lie in state in Pretoria from Wednesday to Friday of next week.
He will then be flown to his ancestral home of Qunu in the Eastern Cape for a State funeral on Sunday week.
Mr Obama's predecessors, George W Bush and Bill Clinton have also confirmed their attendance at the event.
Irish response hailed
The South African Ambassador to Ireland has described the response of Irish people to the death of Nelson Mandela as "amazing".
Jeremiah Ndou said South Africans had been humbled by the messages of support following the death of the former president.
The ambassador said he was expecting a huge turnout at a memorial service planned for St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin on Thursday.
The Irish branch of Mr Mandela's ANC party is also organising a service tomorrow evening at the AFM Promise Tabernacle, St Michans Street, Dublin.
Books of condolence for Mr Mandela are now open across the country.
In Dublin, a book of condolence can be signed at the Mansion House today and tomorrow and also at St Patrick's Cathedral from today until this day week.
Books of condolence are also being made available in Cork, Limerick, Galway and Belfast.
The Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that it is inviting a representative of the former Dunnes Stores anti-apartheid strikers to attend the memorial service for the former South African President, Nelson Mandela, in Johannesburg.
The Department has contacted the activists to discuss the matter.
The Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs, Eamon Gilmore, also is expected to travel to Johannesburg for the service.
Anda sedang membaca artikel tentang
Thousands take to streets to mark Mandela death
Dengan url
http://newsdeadlineup.blogspot.com/2013/12/thousands-take-to-streets-to-mark.html
Anda boleh menyebar luaskannya atau mengcopy paste-nya
Thousands take to streets to mark Mandela death
namun jangan lupa untuk meletakkan link
Thousands take to streets to mark Mandela death
sebagai sumbernya
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar